As the world continues to explore the Afrobeats genre, several artists have emerged and captivated audiences with their unique sound and style. One such artist is Fireboy DML, a Nigerian singer signed to YBNL Nation, a record label founded by Olamide. Fireboy DML’s music is a fusion of R&B and Afrobeats, and he has gained international recognition for his melodic sound and emotional lyrics. In this article, we will explore seven interesting facts about Fireboy DML prior to 2023 that you might not know.
Prior To 2023, Here Are Seven (7) Interesting Facts About Afrobeat Sensation, Fireboy DML
- Debut Album Success: Fireboy DML’s debut studio album, Laughter, Tears and Goosebumps, was a massive success. Released in 2019, the album features 13 tracks of R&B that combines love and social issues with empirical songwriting. Despite not featuring any guest artist, the album amassed over 6 million streams on Spotify three days after its release, and it received generally positive reviews from music critics.
- Breakthrough Single: Fireboy DML’s breakthrough single, “Jealous,” first appeared on YBNL Nation’s collaborative album YBNL Mafia Family in 2018 before being re-released in 2019. The song is composed of guitar riffs, traditional drums and percussion; it combines African harmonies with elements of country and soul music. “Jealous” was produced by Cracker Mallo and is centered around love and the complicated feelings that go along with it.
- Apollo Album: In August 2020, Fireboy DML released his sophomore album, Apollo. The album features collaborations with Wande Coal, D Smoke, and Olamide, among others. It was met with critical acclaim, with Pitchfork describing it as “the peak of his vision so far, a melodious, detailed, and effortless album of feel-good pop and R&B.”
- Influences: Fireboy DML has cited Jon Bellion, Passenger, and Wande Coal as his key contemporary influences. He describes his sound as “Afro-Life” and said he writes songs that audiences can relate to.
- “Peru” Single: In 2021, Fireboy DML released the single “Peru,” which affirmed his Afrobeats intelligence. The song was a hit, and it was later remixed with Ed Sheeran, which debuted on the United States’ Billboard Hot 100 chart and peaked at number 2 on the United Kingdom’s Official Singles Chart in 2022.
- Musical Collaborations: Fireboy DML has collaborated with several artists in the industry, including Ladipoe, WSTRN, Cheque, Rema, Co Label mate, Asake and more. His song “Scatter” from his debut album was included in the FIFA 21 game soundtrack.
- Black Panther: Wakanda Forever: In November 2022, Fireboy DML’s song, “Coming Back to You,” was included on the Black Panther: Wakanda Forever soundtrack. The news was met with excitement, as the first Black Panther movie featured a soundtrack that was heavily influenced by African music and culture.
- Romantic Songs: Fireboy DML’s music is known for its romantic themes and emotional lyrics. Some of his most popular songs include “What If I Say,” “King,” and “Airplane Mode,” among others.
- Music Videos: Fireboy DML’s music videos are known for their cinematic quality and attention to detail. The visuals for “Jealous” and “What If I Say” were directed by TG Omori, while the music video for “King” was directed by Director K.
- Performance on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon: Fireboy DML made a musical appearance on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon and performed a medley
Fireboy DML is undoubtedly a force to be reckoned with in the Nigerian music industry. With his unique voice and soulful lyrics, he has won the hearts of many music lovers both within and outside Nigeria. As he continues to release hit after hit, there is no doubt that he will remain a prominent figure in the industry for years to come. It is exciting to see what the future holds for Fireboy DML, and we can’t wait to see what he has in store for us next.
Stay up-to-date with this and other interesting stories by following Thecriticcircle on Instagram and Twitter.